Friday 10 December 2010

Finding Solace in the Cold

It's been quite a rough week to be honest, I got sick at the beginning when temperatures plummeted below freezing and I carried on my training inadequately prepared. I also haven't really heard from anyone at home despite attempts at reaching them. I know AT is on the high seas and RB is making a new life with Fera in France, so they'll get at me when they can, but family and others.. What's up? Rode my bike every day in the sub zero temperatures, it offered solace and clarity from and for some things.

There were redundancies here in the Americas. 12% reduction or thereabouts. Quite substantial. 2 of my very close friends lost their jobs. And for me it changes the dynamic of working here so much. The redundancies made no sense, they came out of the blue and targeted almost every group, my friends were good at their respected jobs, better than some of the other people doing the same job as them, that still remain, it makes no sense. But for every cloud, there is a silver lining, they will use this an opportunity to go out and pursue the things they want in life, make a fresh new start and find happiness in their work lives again. Sometimes, it can be a blessing in disguise. Me being upset is purely selfsih as I'll miss seeing their faces and talking to them around the office. But inside I know they'll make things happen for themselves, make their own luck and achieve better things. Repect out to you, and we'll never ever lose touch.

So a rough week all in all. I haven't trained or attended yoga class, but i'm on the path to getting better and attend yoga tonight, grab an early night, to wake up early morning to head upstate to Grippen park indoor BMX track. It looks like a decent facility, and the track looks like fun, it's certainly no Sheffield Indoor, but it will do, right? it's a 3 hour drive north of the City, so quite a commitment, and it is going to be painfully cold in there, especially as it is merely covered, and not side-panelled. Ouch. But I just want to ride, do some gates, session and have some fun. I'm looking forward to it! My buddies are coming down from Mass. and me and 2 others are traveling up from the city, so a decent little roadtrip!

3 things that made my week were this beautiful mix from the mysterious, absurdly talented Jacques Greene for URB magazine blog. Go here and download, put on some headphones and vibe out.

This, a beautifully shot piece by Rapha, along the Great Ocean Road.


Great Ocean Road Classic from RAPHA on Vimeo.

And Daniella.

No comments: